Saturday 19 October 2013

27th Mount kinabalu International Climbathon

Summit Race Elite Men winners posing for a photo: David Simpat (centre) Dai Matsumoto (second right) and Safrey Sumping (third left), joined by Datuk Pang Yuk Ming (second left)
David Simpat, a porter from Kinabalu Park, emerged victorius beating 44 other participants in the 27th Kinabalu International Climbathon held here this morning.

The 31 year old from Kota Belud said he was very happy and didn’t expect to win the race.

“ I’m a porter and I did my training while carrying the things up the mountain,” he told reporters after crossing the finishing line, clocking 4hr.12m.29sec

He said the 33 km race was very challenging this time as he had to run up to the summit.

“But when I reached the summit I looked behind and felt relieved when I saw the second runner still away from me,” David said. He reached the peak and set the first record timing of 2hr.11m.17sec.

David won the Summit Race under Elite Men Category, taking away cash prize RM8000.

The first runner-up Dai Matsumo( 31), a pro-skyrunner from Japan, clocked 4hr.18m.27sec and received RM 6000 cash.

Safrey Sumping (30) from Masilau bagged the second runner-up prize of RM4000 cash. He clocked 2hr. 25m. 47sec.

Under the Elit Women category, a 24 year old young lass from New Zealand emerged as the champion , beating ten other participants.  She clocked 5hr.24m.28sec.

The ex-teacher who is studying Chinese language in Taiwan now,  said she was excited to win the race.

“The most toughest part of the trail was reaching the peak,” she said.

This is the first time she is running the race in Malaysia. She took home RM8000 as prize money.

Rubber tapper Danny@ kuilin binti Gongot (47) emerged as the first runner-up clocking 5hr.57m.34sec. This is the fifth run for her and expressed her wish to run again next year if her health permits.

Swiss women Nora Barbara Senn (38) took the third place in the Summit Race, bagging RM4000 cash. She clocked 6hr. 11m. 17sec.

She said this is the first time running this race and taken away by the absolute beauty of the nature along the trail.

“ I have been here 6 times and every time I wanted to climb Mount Kinabalu. I’m happy this time I made it. I was not sure I would make it to the top. I’m really happy I made it to the summit,” she said.

Earlier this morning, Minister of Tourism, Culture and Environment Datuk Seri Masidi Manjun flagged off the 27th Mount Kinabalu International Clibathon Summit Race. Others who were present at the event were his assistant Datuk Pang Yuk Ming and Chairman of Sabah Tourism Board Datuk Joniston Bangkuai.

No comments:

Post a Comment